Wednesday 23 April 2014

Gothic Inspiration from around Norwich

  I would say that Norwich Castle is intimidating in a different way to most, its not got huge towers or fancy decor, its shape is what makes it intimidating. The basic overall cube shape gives it a sense of strength and impregnability. Theres only one way to attack and thats over the bridge. I really like the idea of gargoyles, above were the closest thing I could find in Norwich. I also love the golden weather vain, if I choose Gothic one of those is a must.
If I were to do a gothic themed castle It would be large imposing figure on the skyline, like the spire above. I really like the range of flint bricks used around Norwich, Below are all from the same building yet the coloration changes in each (darker, more blue, whiter, rounder). I live the style of the window, and the triangular decor below and how the door frame decoration incorporates family crests. 
This is the closest to a gargoyle I could find in Norwich, but its more of a statue although there are two of them that stand sentry to the building behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment