Friday 25 April 2014

Zoomorphic Architecture

In an attempt to learn more about animal based architecture I went to the Library where I found this book, and learnt that its called Zoomorphic architecture. Inside where many examples of buildings that had been designed with something natural as its basis. Shells stingrays and fish had been done before, but nowhere either in the book or on the internet could I find an octopus/ squid based building. This spurred me on to do this idea even more, I like doing original ideas as there are so few left.

Another source I found full of examples is on this old V&A web page, http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1269_zoomorphic/homepage.htm

Zoomorphic presents a startling new trend in architecture – buildings that look like animals. Animal resemblances arise for various reasons. An architect may wish to create a symbol, as architects have always done. Or, there may be a functional explanation for why a building comes to share elements of its design with that of some living creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment