Friday 25 April 2014

Nature In Architecture/ Kraken: King of The Sea

Here is Disney's Little Mermaids Atlantis, to me it appears to be based on the environment around it, which is a coral reef. The surrounding habitat is incorporated into the architecture of the castle, weather or not the tops of the towers are actual shells or just made to look like them is anyones guess. Either way I like how the architecture uses natural shapes that are to do with the sea such as shells and coral like shapes.
As you can see above a lot of modern architects look to nature for inspiration, If i go and do an Atlantean castle it will be based on sea life/ or have sea life incorporated.
The image above instantly reminded me of an octopus, Im not sure what the whole building looks like but it reminds of the eyes of an Octopus. I love Octopi and Squids!!! (aka cephalopod molluscs) They're very mysterious and are often very beautiful and are well known for inhabiting sunken ships as they are famous for there ability to squash themselves through key holes and the like.
Squids and Octopi have been the basis of myth and legends for thousands of years eg the Octopus vase is, Minoan, c. 1500 BCE, 28cm, from Palaikastro (Knossos Palace), Crete. Across the globe throughout time there has been reports of giant tentacled creatures attacking and sinking ships, the most known name for this mythical beast is the Kraken, which I believe must be based of sitings of the rare but real Giant Squid.
If atlantis were real I think Atlantean's would consider like me the Kraken/ Giant Squid to be king of the Sea, and would respect them perhaps even worship them like the Egyptians did cats. For this reason if doing an atlantean castle I would incorporate cephalopod elements into the architecture. 
 I thought that I may use these Diatoms in my design as they are so interesting, nature is so beautiful close up. There composition are very mathematical and most often designed to be strong, perfect for use in building architecture. I do go on to use the top circular blue one and the shape of the triangular one in my castle design.

No comments:

Post a Comment