Sunday 2 November 2014

Contextual Studies: Hand Sign Design

Signifiers communicate where actions are meant to take place, for are Contextual Studies we were given the task of re-designing a existing sign we did not think works well or creating are own, possibly to be used in our game. I decided to create an interaction sign. To be a good signifier it should be intuitive, and then I came up with the idea of using a handprint as they are a very iconic recognisable shape. Some of the first paintings by humans were simple hand paintings done by aborigines in Australia, so there is something primal about hand prints, they show that we are all one species in a way. At least to me there is some kind of instinctive feeling to put my hand in, whenever I see a print maybe to see if it fits or perhaps its to feel a connection to whoever left the print behind. 
I looked into other aborigene and native american hand symbolism, I really liked the hands with a swirl in the palm, as if representing some kind of power. In my game these prints would represent interactive points that when activated using specific powers (which you gain through out the game) causing a new door to open or reveal itself, or something of that ilk.

Apparently one way of knowing weather or not your in a dream is to look at your hands, it is believed that in dreams you never have the correct number of fingers so to make a hand print symbol more original I experimented in photoshop on seeing what it looked like with and extra or less fingers. I decided on choosing the symbol with more fingers as when my friend looked at it, it took her a second glance to notice it was not a normal print. Also its much more likely to loose a finger than gain one, although not impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment