Friday 20 February 2015

UV Mapping (Failure & Success)

Above is the final UV map for the final version of my model, to start with I though I had done well in terms of using up most of the space and getting the parts I wanted large. However it could be much improved! I went over it many a times, separating edges in order to Fix areas within the normal map for baking, so that the dark lines on the edge didn't appear. I learnt how to fix these from George's very helpful troubleshooting pages from his file on baking. "This is likely to happen when you have an acute angle in your low poly that your normal map can’t compensate for or is struggling with because of the UV seam Where the UV edges meet, the extreme colour from one poly to the other may blend creating an artefact new colour that creates this line."

Also although I felt that I learnt a lot and improved as I worked when it came to painting the stylised textures of my diffuse map, the design of my UV map let me down hugely! As I had not thought about the textures enough when designing and thus I have wood grains that don't match up and create a very bad effect. They kind of ruin the Chest, It looks okay from the front, well ok'ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment