Sunday 19 April 2015

Blist's Hill Victorian Town

Over the Easter Holiday I tried really hard to find a near by Carousal, with horses on so I could take pictures for Primary Research. Unfortunately howeverI had no luck in finding one, I visited the Victorian Town of Blist's Hill knowing that they had a little carnival area, and vaguely remembering there being a carousal. When I got there I found that they only had the carousal for six weeks in the summer, I was very upset to find that out but fortunately got in for free due to knowing someone who worked there otherwise would of been £20 to find out there wasn't one.
However I did find this Swingy Thing, for a lack of knowing the correct name which except lacking the horses has some similar components to a Carousal. As well as the carnival style decoration. I took pictures to record the style as it may be useful for inspiration etc.
Above are components of the swingy thing I found particularly interesting/ curious. I really like the font type used in "Harris & Scrivens' it reminded me of classic carnival designs. On each corner of the "swingy thing" was a portrait of a member of the royal family, with these particular ones being long dead I found it strange for them to be there above looking out at you. The way the eyes of paintings seem to follow you has always worried me, although it is of course just an illusion.
Above are more designs that represent carnival/ circus themes and style, there was not much else left to see as the carnival area was only small. Again the fonts and patterns are what tell you its a carnival, the mouths on the game are a bit freaky to me. I really like the 'Change' sign and would be cool to incorporate it into the environment if I have time.

On my way out of Blist's Hill I came across these victorian advertisements and took pictures as I thought there was some beauty, something interesting about them, or maybe that they would be useful to have as textures for a project in the future. I think its the style that the old advertisements have as well as how the paint/ metal have reacted to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment