Monday 18 May 2015

Sculptor: April Young

“My work utilises both 2D and sculptural media to explore the role of mythologies in a contemporary context.  I’m interested in the durability and cross pollination of stories, and the relationship between real and imagined times, people and places.  I attempt to place my work at the crossover between classical mythology – the stories that have endured for millennia – and contemporary experience, which continuously adds its own chapter to the legacy of storytelling.”
I stumbled across this amazing artist, April Young. I really enjoy her work, the first image I saw by her is the one below and I just thought Whoa the textures are really unusual and interesting, there is a lot of depth to them as there are images within, If I managed to accomplish anything close to the level of detail and style in her work I would be a very happy man.
Not so much the top image but the one below, I like how the paint seems to have worn away revealing different colours as well as something more beautiful, to me it looks like building illustrations. I really like the idea of something hidden beneath the skin. Unfortuneatly apart from the top quote I couldent find much on the artist so am left to make up my own theories of their meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment