Sunday 3 May 2015

Carousals! The Warm Glow

Above is a mood board of Carousals, I picked images that all portray that warm happy feeling. Obviously the glow of the carnival lights has a lot to do with the warm fun happy aesthetic that they give of. I particularly enjoy all the reds oranges and yellows contrasting starkly with the night, I feel that in my project where the carousal is alone in the darkness the lights will have even more of effect. Weather or not a lone lit carousal still gives of a 'warm happy feeling' is the players opinion.

Carousals give of the same feeling as an old toy, I think its how whimsical they are that makes me feel this. Really they are just like one giant toy brought to life perhaps this is why I feel set on edge by them as it doesn't seem quite right.

For too long I have strayed from the wording of my proposal. But looking back I had intended it to be more about the viewpoint of a child.
From a child's point of view looking up at this huge bright machine could cause different reaction. I imagine them having mixed feelings of awe as well as fear being overwhelmed by the lights, music and movement. Some may even Imagining the horses to be alive and be overjoyed or scared by this.

Quick tangent: I was thinking an interesting mechanic for a game could be to allow the player to choose how they the child react, if its positive they may go on to have a nice time but if they choose negative repeatedly the story and environment would continue to darken, as fear begets fear so everything just intensifies. Like a dream or taking drugs, if you let yourself think the bad thoughts then bad things will happen. Im unsure where this mechanic would lead to in the long run, but choosing the negative reaction would lead to the players point of view being skewed and warped into some nightmarish world. Maybe end with the child being put back in the pram where you succumb to sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment