Monday 4 May 2015

Dave McKean's Colour Scheme

Dave McKean is one of my favourite Illustrators of all time, I have always found his work mesmerising, due to the depth they have. He creates such beautiful often sereal art, his covers always stand out amongst any other comics. I first found out about him as I was drawn to the Sandman series of comics which is based around dreams, I think his works are the closest kind of art that come closest to ever depicting dreams. Since then I have gone on to explore many of his other his works, which I Love. The use strong use of multimedia really gives a unique style, I would really like to practise his style at some point maybe I will this summer. 

For a long time now I have wished to capture the kind of art style of Artists such as Dave McKean within the art style of a game. In the future I would really like to experiment with art styles within games, as there are so many styles that have been achieved in illustration that game artist have not yet explored. 

I have noticed that Dave McKean often appears to come back to this amber, orange, reddish and black colour range. You can see examples of what I mean below. I mention this as it is a similar colour scheme to that as the Carousals in the post below, however the images below give of a much more darker vibe. Perhaps I could use a colour scheme more like Dave McKeans to help such a whimsical thing as a carousal to invoke a more darker feeling. The more browny tones remind me of days past, like a memory. Perhaps Sepia the bright orange and reds of the carousal could be surrounded by an environment of more sepia tones, as if suggesting that the memory of the Carousal was much more vivid than that of its surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment