Sunday 10 May 2015

Creative Tangent: Four Horses of the Apocolypse

I stupidly did not update my blog every day, If I had you would see that I put quite a lot of time and energy into researching about the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. In the end it was all for naught as I thought it best not to go with the idea. My idea was to have the carousal, have horses that were the horses of the apocalypse on, however I started to think that there was something corny about this idea, as if it was trying to hard to be scary. I later thought that it would be cool for the abandoned carousal to have been graffiti'd slightly, perhaps four of the horses being graffiti'd in a way that symbolised each horse of the apocalypse Conquest, War, Famine and Death. I felt that this was a good way of getting the message across more subtly, less in your face and would allow me to experiment with graffiti designs and textures. However I eventually came circle and left the idea to go back to what I had originally intended to create.
Above show some digital variants and experimentations of the concept I had for the horse of Death, which I scanned in below. I was very happy with how it looks but then changed my idea to having the horses graffitied on instead in which case the skeleton wouldn't be so precise and clear. 
I was particularly proud with the drawing above and is the only real 2d art I have done this project however my project is aimed at doing 3d so had not planed on doing any. 
Above is a concept I did for what a carousal horse may look like if it had been graffitied to symbolise the horse of conquest/ famine. Apart from Death having a skeleton sprayed on him and War dripping in red spray, the other two were harder to think of symbols. As the horseman of conquest is always shown to be a king of some type, I thought a crown was the closest to resemble this, and to have each Horse with its Roman numeral scratched and painted onto the head.
Above are pages that I scanned in from Dave McKean's graphic novel Signal to Noise. They show how Dave McKean has portrayed/ illustrated the four horseman of the Apocalypse, I really like them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment