Thursday 9 October 2014

Initial Game Ideas

As soon as we were given the brief my head was rushing with ideas, and I felt I should note them all down. At this point in the term I was thinking more of just fun interesting game to play that had an iconic character. Here is my brainstorm of characters I thought would be good within a game:
An iconic Hedgehog would seem like a rip of sonic so that was a no, However I felt that Koala King would be a fun character. I liked the idea of a living totem pole who finds new heads that hold new powers as he goes on his adventures. Also the idea of a ninja frog battling through the garden felt iconic and entertaining. The Mad Scientists creation would be a cute sentient patchwork creature and you would play as him trying to escape the lab, getting past all the other abominations.
If I had time it would pursue all of these though I settled on drawing some concepts for a game where the main character is a skeleton. As I had interesting colour schemes in my head which i thought would be original and fun. Heres a quick concept sketch.
My idea of skeletons involved into something more meaningful, I decided to base it around the them of reincarnation which is a Buddhist belief, so I went on to research Buddhism. I found that Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhist art frequently makes use of a particular set of eight auspicious symbols, ashtamangala, in domestic and public art. These symbols have spread with Buddhism to the art of many cultures, including Indian, Tibetan, Nepalese, and Chinese art. (wikipedia)
These symbols are: ( in the game would be keys needed in order to move on to the next level )
  1. Lotus flower. Representing purity and enlightenment.
  2. Endless knot, or, the Mandala. Representing eternal harmony.
  3. Golden Fish pair. Representing conjugal happiness and freedom.
  4. Victory Banner. Representing a victorious battle.
  5. Wheel of Dharma or Chamaru in Nepali Buddhism. Representing knowledge.
  6. Treasure Vase. Representing inexhaustible treasure and wealth.
  7. Parasol. Representing the crown, and protection from the elements.
  8. Conch shell. Representing the thoughts of the Buddha.
I thought that as you fight your way through each level past various types of stylised animal skeletons, you must collect one of these auspicious symbols to gain access to the next level and in order to be reincarnated which is the main goal. Also I felt that these would be good subjects for each level to be based on. Such as the first level being based upon an oriental fish pond, with giant skeleton coi carp, stepping stones, decorative bridges and lamps, pink luminescent waters and lily pads. It all looks real good in my head. 
The next level would be a maze, so potentially never-ending, And so on with each level.

No comments:

Post a Comment